HIGH COUNTRY HISTORY GROUP
GREENSTED, STANFORD RIVERS,
STAPLEFORD TAWNEY & THEYDON MOUNT

Theydon Mount (Essex)
"Theydon Mount: Thegn's hill - the lordship of a Saxon Thane"

Webpage devoted to one of our four parishes in the High Country in Essex.

Questions and Comments welcomed.  E mail.
Home Greensted Stanford Rivers Stapleford Tawney Theydon Mount External Links

Theydon Mount in 1887.  

The following is taken from ‘Durrant’s Handbook For Essex’ written by Miller Christy (Durrant & Co., Chelmsford, 1887).  

Theydon Mount. A.1500; P. 148; Vicarage, value (with Stapleford Tawney) £750, 3m,. E from Theydon Bois, and S.E. from Epping.   

Hill Hall, the property, but not now the residence, of the Smijth family, baronets, is a noble quadrangular building, of large size, very massively built, and in the classic style of architecture, though part of it dates from 1548. The entrance-hall, dining and drawing-rooms, library, &c., are large and lofty apartments, hung with an extensive series of old family portraits. That of Sir Thomas Smijth is ascribed to Titian, and another of Henry VIII. to Holbein. The view from the S. front is a fine and very extensive one, stretching over the well-wooded park to the hills on the opposite side of the Roding valley. The mansion was begun by Sir Thomas Smijth, who was born at Saffron Walden in 1514. He was one of the most eminent statesmen and accomplished scholars of his day, and held many important offices, including that of the secretary of state under Edward VI. and
Elizabeth. His “De Republica Angloum” is a well known work. The Church (St. Michael) was destroyed by lightning and rebuilt in 1600. It is a small building, occupying an eminence in the corner of the park, and consisting of nave, chancel, and embattled tower, all of red brick. The windows are chiefly square 2-light ones, but that of the E. end has three lights and interlacing tracery. Within are some sumptuous monuments to the memory of the former owners of Hill Hall., including a fine canopied one to the Sir Thomas Smijth already mentioned (1577) and his wife; another with effigies to Sir William (1626), and several others. In the churchyard is a curious epitaph to Philip Gloyns, who died in 1806. The Register dates from 1564.

High Country links A table showing links to various recommended external sites.
History House Wikipedia Francis Frith
Other sites
Theydon Mount Theydon Mount History House not listed Theydon Mount Frith
Victoria County History
Theydon Mount Victoria County History description of the High Country parish
Manors Church Parish Govt. & Poor Relief Schools Charities
Last Updated:  28 December 2009