HIGH COUNTRY HISTORY GROUP
Webpage devoted to one of our four parishes in the High Country in Essex.
|Questions and Comments welcomed. E mail.|
|Home||Greensted||Stanford Rivers||Stapleford Tawney||Theydon Mount||External Links|
Stanford Rivers in 1887
The following is taken from ‘Durrant’s Handbook For Essex’ written by Miller Christy (Durrant & Co., Chelmsford, 1887).
Stan’ford Rivers. A. 4386; P.975; Rectory, value £1077; 2m. S.W. from Ongar.
A scattered parish, named probably form the once stony ford through the Roding, and from its owners in the 13th cent. The church (St. Mary) is chiefly of stone, and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower and small spire of timber running up through the W. end of the former. It has no Aisles, and is therefore remarkable for its great length compared with its breadth. The nave and probably the chancel also, is
|High Country links||A table showing links to various recommended external sites.|
|History House||Wikipedia||Francis Frith
|Stanford Rivers||Stanford Rivers History House||Stanford Rivers Wiki||not listed|
|Victoria County History|
|Stanford Rivers||Victoria County History description of the High Country parish|
|Last Updated: 28 December 2009|