Blackmore Area Local History
Ingatestone & Fryerning: in old postcards
|A walk around Ingatestone and Fryerning (Essex) and its High
Street with old postcards produced in the early twentieth century.
|Home||Ingatestone||Ingatestone in 1985
|Ingatestone station. The bookling hall and London-bound platform is clearly recognisable but the age was one when goods were loaded and unloaded. In the 1970s the site of the goods yard was present but the station's activity was given over to commuters. The number of staff on the station has also changed. It seems fitting that we should start our postacrd walk from here..|
|Walking up Station Lane today is considerably different today. The elm trees which lined the road were victims of the Dutch Elm Disease in the 1970s. Houses were added on the eastern, or right hand, side of the view. But the location of this postcard if clearly discernable, looking towards the High Street junction from the slight bend in the road by what is now Ashleigh Court.|
|Another view of Station Lane, Ingatestone.|
|Crossing the top of Station Lane at the crossroads with the High Street, we look down Avenue Road on a view little changed over the past one hundred years.|
|Now turning right (northwards) up the High Street we turn outside the Arms Houses to view the terrace and larger house which stands at the crossroads with Station Lane. Once again all these properties have stood the test of time.|
|The Crown, Ingatestone. Once again the view has not changed over the intervening years.|
|Another view of The Crown, this time decorated in celebration of the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902.|
|A few steps on we come to a row of cottages facing the High Street and a view along to The Bell and beyond.|
is Ingatestone Market Place before the large house on the right - The
Limes - and public house on the left - the White Hart - were demolished
in the 1960s to make way for blocks of low-rise flats and an
unsympathetic row of shops and a car park.
High Street has a full run on houses and shops. The large clock -
demolished by a passing lorry long ago - was on the chemist.
|A similar view. The shop fronts today are little altered.|
|We are towards the top of the High Street looking south now.
|We will now turn left and up New Road passing under the bypass (opened 1959) and up the lane to Little Hyde Lane.|
|Following the road around Fryerning we eventually come to Huskards, once an old peoples home.
|Passing the now closed Woolpack we come to Fryerning Church with its lychgate.
|The outside of St Mary The Virgin, Fryening.
|Inside Fryerning Church. Noticeable here is the absence of the Rood Screen in the chancel arch erected as a War Memorial following the First World War.|
turn back towards the Woolpack then down Fryerning Lane towards the
village. Scotts, a thatched cottage, has survived the years.
the High Street at the crossroads we walk through the churchyard to
Fairfield, which was the site of an annual Horse Fair each December
until at least 1890. These are views of St Edmund and St Mary Church,
will now cross Fairfield recreation ground and follow a footpath to
Ingatestone Hall, a property now open to the public on summer days.
These are various views. The clock tower has the Petre family motto,
"Sans Dieu Rein" - "Without God Nothing". It is from the clock
tower that the photo of the Hall has been taken. The circular bed in
the middle has gone. In the garden, along the Lime Walk, you can
still see the following view, but the Catholic Chapel was demolished
during the twentieth century. Finally Lime Walk itself.
Having been around the gardens in Ingatestone Hall its time to walk back up Hall Lane to the station.
|Last updated: 18 September 2011|