Ongar in 1887
The following is taken from ‘Durrant’s Handbook For
written by Miller Christy
(Durrant & Co., Chelmsford, 1887).
A. 4510; P.
1063; Rectory, value £1282; 1m. E. from Chipping Ongar.
This place may be
regarded as a suburb of Chipping Ongar, from which it
is separated by the Roding. The
(Virgin Mary) is chiefly built of stone.
It contains a red-brick tower, erected in 1858, and
containing 5 bells,
dated 1610, 1728-46-73, and 1822 respectively, and also a nave and
chiefly of Norman origin. Some
windows are narrow Norman slits; others are 13th
cent. (E. Eng.) lancets,
three lofty ones
appearing at the E. end; while others are 14th
is neither chancel
arch nor rood-screen. In
the chancel is
a small and poor piscina. The
(now mured) seems to have been quite plain, but the S. one is very
and forms the chief feature of the church.
It is of early Norman work, and has its many
though somewhat rudely, ornamented with carvings.
The plain columns have carved capitals. The filling-in at its head
is enriched with
zigzags, circles, curves, and various other designs.
The arch is chiefly ornamented with the
zigzag moulding. Over
all is a label
with very varied ornamentation, each stone of which it is composed
different, though characteristic, Norman design.
There is a brass to a civilian (about 1510),
and there are also some inscriptions of brass, but no other interesting
begins in 1538. Forest
(J. L. Newall, Esq.), 3m. N., is a good stone mansion, standing in a
having an extensive view. At
now a farmhouse, was once a fine old moated mansion, wherein Thomas,
Norfolk, is said to have concealed himself from Queen Elizabeth when
with having treasonable intercourse with Mary Queen of Scots.
Ongar in 1861
The following is taken from ‘The People’s History
of Essex’ written
by D. W. Coller
(Meggy & Chalk, Chelmsford, 1861)
HIGH ONGAR, or Old
Ongar, as it is sometimes called, may almost be
looked upon as part or suburb of Chipping Ongar, from which is
separated by the
Roden [or River Roding], though it is the much larger parish of the two. Forest Hall, a good
mansion a mile north of
the village, is the seat of the Rev. J. Branston Stane, who is lord of
manor, of Newarks, and Wetherspane, these estates having been purchased
Rich in 1562 for the Stane family, which ever since has been settled
mansion was built by Richard Stane, Esq., at the close of the 17th
century. The Earl
of Mornington owns the
manor of Passlow; and Ashe Hall belongs to the Rev. J. H. Earle. Ongar Park, four miles
distant, which is completely
cut off from the parish but still forms part of it, is held by Capel
Esq. The farm of
Asteylyns is the
property of the Collage of Physicians, having been settled upon that
institution by Dr. Hamey, in 1672.
was formerly a park, with a noble old moated mansion, which the Duke of
found shelter and concealment when Queen Elizabeth sought his head for
presumptuous attempt to secure the hand of Mary, Queen of Scots.
the church there are monuments to the Stane family ; and on a black
stone is a curious inscription on one who appears to have been an actor
sufferer from Puritan domination in the days of the commonwealth
a general confusion, ushered in by a pretended Reformation, had buried
Religion and the Liberty of the Subject under the Ruins of Church and
left a sad and serious warning to all posterity how they opposed the
bishops again; then was this house of bondage happily changed for a
Canaan by Richard Carter, October 26, 1659.”
There are six almshouses
the parish, built by the Rev. Dr. Tabor, and endowed, in 1610, with a
rent-charge of £10. out of Curry-farm, Bradwell. For eight poor widows
Alice Thomlinson left a
rent charge of £2. out of a farm at Hatfield Broad Oak; for
bread, John Wyberd left a rent-charge of £2. 10s. out of a
house at Kirton;
William Peacocke, £1, out of King’s Ridden cottage;
and Mr. Waller, 10s. a year
out of Thrift Farm.