thumbhome

Blackmore Area Local History

Doddinghurst (Essex)
"Dodo's-hurst or wood"

Webpage devoted to Doddinghurst: people and places
E mail.
Home Doddinghurst
Fryerning High Ongar Ingatestone Mountnessing
Blackmore Norton Mandeville Shenfield Stondon Massey Willingale Writtle
Contents
Doddinghurst in 1861
Doddinghurst in 1887
Parish Registers
War Memorial: Link to page dedicated to those who fell in the First World War, and who are commemorated on a memorial inside All Saints' Church.
For more information on Doddinghurst, follow this link to the blackmorehistory.blogspot: Doddinghurst

Doddinghurst in 1887

The following is taken from ‘Durrant’s Handbook For Essex’ written by Miller Christy (Durrant & Co., Chelmsford, 1887).   

Doddinghurst (often pronounced Dod’n’st). A. 1892; P. 401; Rectory value £624; 4 m. W. from Ingatestone, 4 S.E. from Ongar, and 4 from
Brentwood.   

A pleasant, though secluded and purely rural, parish, having some ancient farmhouses with large brick chimneys.  The Church (All Saints) consists of tower, nave and chancel, and was restored in 1853.  The tower is of timber, like, but not so good as, that at Blackmore. It runs through the W. end of the nave, which is of the 13th cent. (
E. Eng.), with some of its original lancet windows remaining, though others are insertions of the 16th cent. (Perp.).  The S. door is original E. Eng. work, and is ornamented with dog-tooth mouldings.  Its porch, of the late 16th cent., is of great length.  The chancel seems to be of late 14th cent. (Decor.) age, with an ogee E. window.  There are no brasses or monuments.  The Register dates from 1559.

Doddinghurst in 1861

The following is taken from ‘The People’s History of Essex’ written by D. W. Coller (Meggy & Chalk, Chelmsford, 1861)      

The last parish is this direction is DODDINGHURST, situate at the extreme point of the [Barstable] Hundred, to the north of the high road and railway.  It is an ancient parish of purely rural character. The manors and most of the land belong to Colonel Fane and Mrs Manbey. – The charities for the poor consist of a rent-charge of £4. left by Mrs. Herrys and Thomas Glasscock, out of an estate now held by Mrs. Manbey; the interest of £60. given by the Dawtry family; and £30. by Hannah Lather and others; the rent of five acres of poors-land, purchased, in 1715, with poor’s-money; and Pope’s House, vested in trust for the residence of poor parishioners.

EXTERNAL LINKS
History House Wikipedia Francis Frith Link to BALH blog Other sites
Doddinghurst Doddinghurst History House Doddinghurst      Wikipedia Doddinghurst Frith Our Blog
Last updated: 9 April 2010