thumbhome

Blackmore Area Local History

Blackmore: 1958

An aerial picture of Blackmore taken in 1958 - and a map dated 1897.
E mail.
Home Around Blackmore Timeline Jericho Priory


Below is a copy of an Ordnance Survey map of Blackmore village published in 1897.  To the bottom of both the aerial photograph and the map is the Priory Church of St Laurence, Blackmore. Church Street runs to the north of the church. Beyond the village centre is the curve of what is known today as Red Rose Lane, a recollection of the Black Death which hit Blackmore in 1349. Both show a very rural Essex village, before the construction of small housing estates in the 1960s. The picture shows only a small portion of Blackmore parish. To the south is Hook End and Wyatts Green.




Last updated: 17 February 2009